What’s new? How much does it cost? And how does it perform? Matt Coles brings you the low down on the Odyssey Ai-One Milled Six T Putter
Callaway have used the same AI technology from their Paradym Driver range in the Odyssey AI-One Putter range. Does it work well? Find out with our Odyssey AI-One Milled Six T putter review.
- RELATED: Odyssey Ai-One putters: Everything you need to know!
- RELATED Odyssey Ai-One Milled Seven T Putter Review
Odyssey Ai-One Milled Six T Putter Review: NCG Summary
Having played with some of the other putters in the Odyssey AI-One Milled Putter range, I had high hopes for the Six T. It did not disappoint.
The look and feel of the Six T is glorious, especially behind the ball with the single white line running down the centre. The milled titanium insert ensures perfect strikes no matter how bad the stroke is.
- Looks stunning
- Stroke Lab shaft
- Thick grip
- Lots of configurations
Even before the putter comes out, the headcover is a piece of art. The navy, gold and white design screams quality, and with a magnetised lock and fur-lined inside, it is high-quality.
Then you see the putter itself, and it looks sublime. The dark navy finish is sleek and stylish, while the champagne-coloured milled insert is exquisitely designed and fitted. When you lie the putter behind a ball, the white line down the centre really helps to line the club in the centre of the ball. The line contrasts brilliantly against the navy setting of the putter itself.
I’ll be honest, I have never had an Odyssey Putter. Now that may shock some people, but I have always been a TaylorMade man for some reason. I have had the Redline Monza in my bag for some years now, and it is one of the few clubs in my bag that I have always seemed to trust.
However, this may change my mind on that. As an amateur golfer, putts do not always come out of the centre of the face. The Ai-One series helps with this, and it helps significantly. The AI technology used, similar to that in the Paradym Driver range, has been designed to help off-centre strikes remain more consistent in terms of distance. Obviously, putts right off the centre of the face will still go further, but the difference between well-struck putts and badly-struck putts will be minimised.
The Odyssey Ai-One Milled Putter range also has interchangeable weights in the head. These weights are available in 5, 10, 15 and 20 grams to suit players who prefer a lighter of heavier head. This allows for a range of configurations, even with just the one putter, so having this option for amateurs to even save a couple of shots a round is spot on from Odyssey.
I started with short putts, within six feet, and within a couple of swings, I felt confident. Putting has always been a strong point in my game, and with the Odyssey Ai-One Milled Six T, it felt even stronger. I could tell that I was not hitting every putt out of the centre of the club face, but that did not seem to matter too much over short putts, with the milled face and the AI technology still getting every putt to the hole.
Due to how well-balanced the head feels, I also felt more confident over longer putts. With a longer swing, there is more of a tendency to miss the centre of the club face, but that AI technology continued to work well, with 90% of putts finishing within a similar distance from the hole (the other 10% being poor putts on my behalf).
The Odyssey Ai-One Milled Putter range all come with a Stroke Lab SL90 shaft as standard. These have a counterbalance weight of 20-30 grams, depending on the grip. These weights counter the heavier head, and the weights at the top of the shaft do this job well.
I spent some time using both the Six T and my old putter. Once I had gotten used to the speed of putts coming off the face of the Six T, it was much more consistent across both short and long putts. Odyssey do say that these putters can improve your lag putting by as much as 20%. That could take two or three shots off your score and bring that handicap down!
Those who play with Odyssey putters already will certainly want to take a look at the new technology, and I wouldn’t be surprised if some people (including myself) finally jump on the Odyssey train. Masters Champion Jon Rahm put the new product into play before it was even announced to the world, which showed his confidence in the performance of the club.
I can safely say that I will be looking at putting an Odyssey Ai-One Milled Putter into my bag, and the Six T is high up the list of favourites for the role.
Odyssey Ai-One Milled Six T Putter: The Details
Shaft lengths: 32 – 37 inches
More information: Callaway Website
- RELATED: Odyssey Tri Hot 5k Double Wide Putter Review
- RELATED: Odyssey White Hot Versa Twelve Putter review