Jon Rahm told an audience in Bilbao he was ‘under strict instructions’ not to do public events since joining LIV Golf…
Jon Rahm has revealed he’s “under strict instructions” not to do public events since moving to LIV Golf.
The Spaniard said he won’t publicly appear until February when receiving the ‘Dama Bilbaina 2023’ in Bilbao, awarded by the private club recognising his career.
“I didn’t think there would be any cameras and that it would be a bit more intimate,” he said to the audience at the Sociedad Bilbaina Hall, according to Reuters.
“I am under very strict instructions not to do public events, which I have imposed on myself a little bit for myself, and for the change I have given to the world of golf in the last week.
“There will be nothing until February, I’m not allowed to.”
Rahm reportedly said ‘No’ to giving an interview at the event on Wednesday, just short of a week after his alleged £450-million move to the Saudi-funded circuit.
So far, the Masters champion has been interviewed by LIV Golf and Fox News since leaving the PGA Tour, while also appearing on the Pat McAfee show.
The third LIV Golf season kicks off at Mayakoba in Mexico on February 2, the week of the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am and the week after the Farmers Insurance Open which Rahm won in 2017.
The 29-year-old has said he still wants to be a part of the PGA Tour, but he was suspended earlier this week – the same protocol administered to his LIV colleagues for the first time in 2022.
“I don’t consider that what I do is much different, and that I am more or less important than the rest,” Rahm added.
“The only thing is that I’m seen on TV right now and that’s it – hopefully a little less so in the future.”
What do you make of this news from the Jon Rahm-Bilbao ceremony? Tell us what you think on Twitter/X!