Equipment: Callaway XR Steelhead irons and hybrids launched
The Callaway X-14 were one of the best-selling irons ever and despite being nearly 15 years old, they’ve helped inspire the all-new Callaway XR Steelhead range.
Callaway looked back at successful elements of the X-14 – blade length, hosel and optimised centre of gravity – then added their modern face cup technology for improved distance, forgiveness and feel.
The Callaway XR Steelhead irons feature the brand’s fastest-ever face which is thin around the perimeter for faster ball speeds on off-centre hits.
It’s flexible over a greater area than other XR irons and has taken COR (trampoline effect) right to the USGA limit.
A progressive centre of gravity through the set results in better flighting and more control with the shorter irons – characteristics taken from better player irons.
There’s new material, steel infused polyurethane, behind the face which dampens vibration for better sound and feel.
The Callaway XR Steelhead hybrids have a large head, squared off toe and deep centre of gravity for high launch.
They’ve added a speed step crown for increased head speed thanks to research with Boeing.
Both the irons and the hybrids are aimed at the game-improvement market.
Callaway XR Steelhead irons features and benefits
– Callaway’s 360 Face Cup technology increases ball speed with greater efficiency on both centre hits and mis-hits for more distance on every swing.
– A bar of steel-infused soft urethane layer positioned behind the lower portion of the face absorbs unwanted vibration for great feel. It also lowers the head’s centre of gravity for faster ball speed on low hits and higher launch characteristics.
– The hollow bore-thru hosel design saves significant weight that’s repositioned in strategic places in the head to create more forgiveness and easier launch.
– The CG is positioned strategically in each iron to help golfers get the most out of their game.
– Exceptionally low and far back CG to promote easy launch and long carry in the long irons, low and back CG to promote easy launch and keep control in the mid irons, low and middle CG to deliver lower, high spinning shots in the short irons to attack pins.
Callaway XR Steelhead hybrids features and benefits
– More speed and distance from a larger face and Callaway’s Hyper Speed Face Cup Technology
– A larger head and deep back CG make Steelhead XR Hybrids easier to launch high for more carry and distance.
– Designed with the assistance of Boeing aerospace experts, Callaway’s Speed Step Technology improves airflow to promote faster clubhead speed for more distance.
– Designers maximised the forgiveness of the head by creating a slightly deeper body and longer blade length to create a larger hitting area and raise the MOI, making the Steelhead XR Hybrids easy to hit from a wide variety of lies both on and off the fairway.
Callaway XR Steelhead details
XR Steelhead irons
XR Steelhead hybrids:
Lofts: 3H (19°), 4H (22°), 5H (25°), 6H (28°)
Both available from September 2 for more information visit callawaygolf.com
More from Callaway...