NCG's Golf Glossary: What is a worm burner?

The Scoop

Don't know your dormies from your doglegs? NCG's Golf Glossary is here to help

Here at National Club Golfer we’re the publication for the everyday player and so we’ve taken it upon ourselves to give you a step-by-step introduction to the wonderful world of the golfing lexicon…

Usually, the only way you’ll see scorched earth on a golf course is if it is hit by lightning.

Since the dawn of time, thunder and the accompanying strike that went with it were thought to have been a sign of God’s anger.

This week’s word, though, strikes fury into the hearts of golfers everywhere.

Word of the week: Wormburner

Those small slithery creatures, the ones that often park themselves right in the line of your putt, can be a real pest on our courses.

But, instead of forking out for expensive deterrents, head greenkeepers could consider a radical new alternative.

We’ve all seen a phalanx of lawnmowers going up and down fairways – cutting to get them ready for play.

So when there are too many worms for comfort, let’s put together an army of golfers, stick them all in a line, and sort them out once and for all.

For there is a shot in every hacker’s arsenal that’s a cast iron bug killer.

Dictionary definition: Wormburner: [slang] A golf shot that never gets more than a few feet off the ground.

What this actually means: For anyone who has seen this (and let’s be honest, we’ve all done it), it’s a pretty ugly shot.

You line up behind the ball, swing with all your might and then barely get it six inches off the ground.

Off it goes, with such a low trajectory – and at such speed – that you can just about make out the faint trace of smoke in its wake as it scorches the earth around it.

It’s not quite a top and, on firm ground, it might actually gain some decent distance as it trundles along to its ever-embarrassing conclusion.

I’ve actually seen someone shoot a hole-in-one with a wormburner but there were no celebrations. It’s a shot no-one can really cheer, is it?

Click here to return to NCG’s Golf Glossary

Next article