Tiger Woods still in top 20 highest-paid sports stars
Tiger Woods may have played just seven rounds of competitive golf since 2015, but it doesn’t stop him making the top 20 of Forbes’ latest ranking of the world’s highest-paid sports stars.
The 14-time major champion, who made headlines in May for all the wrong reasons when he was arrested near his home in Florida, weighs in at No. 17 thanks to $37 million in endorsements.
Woods is one of five golfers in the 100-strong ranking.
Rory McIlroy is highest at No. 6, with a combined $50m made up of $16m in prize money and $34m in endorsements.
Phil Mickelson is 12th with $3.5m in earnings and $40m in endorsements, while Jordan Spieth just misses out on the top 20 at $34.5m and Dustin Johnson is at 48 on $27.6m.
Top 10 highest paid sports stars:
1. Cristiano Ronaldo (football) – $93m ($58m earnings, $35m endorsements)
2. LeBron James (basketball – $86.2m ($32.1m earnings, $55m endorsements)
3. Lionel Messi (football) – $80m ($53m earnings, $27m endorsements)
4. Roger Federer (tennis) – $64m ($6m earnings, $58m endorsements)
5. Kevin Durant (basketball) – $60.6m ($26.6m earnings, $34m endorsements)
6. Rory McIlroy (golf) – $50m ($16m earnings, $34m endorsements)
7. Andrew Luck (American football) – $50m ($47m earnings, $3m endorsements)
8. Stephen Curry (basketball) – $47.3m ($12.3m earnings, $35m endorsements)
9. James Harden (basketball) – $46.6m ($26.6m earnings, $20m endorsements)
10. Lewis Hamilton (Formula 1) – $46m ($38m earnings, $8m endorsements)
Other golfers in the top 100:
12. Phil Mickelson – $43.5m ($3.5m earnings, $40m endorsements)
17. Tiger Woods – $37.1m ($170k earnings, $37m endorsements)
21. Jordan Spieth – $34.5m ($5.5m earnings, $29m endorsements)
48. Dustin Johnson – $27.6m ($16.6m earnings, $11m endorsements)