Equipment: Nike launch Rory-inspired Lunar Control 4 shoe
The new Lunar Control 4 shoes from Nike Golf were designed to help Rory McIlroy create torque and maximise the power in his swing while keeping a solid, stable base.
The four-time major winner and Nike Golf athlete claims he has been helping with the design of LC4 since his very first year with the company in 2013.
At more than 120 MPH, McIlroy’s golf swing is one of the most powerful on the professional tour.
His ability to attack the ball with velocity while maintaining control over his swing arc requires strength and a strong base.
I have been looking forward to wearing this shoe for quite some time, McIlroy said.
It’s a design I’ve been involved with ever since my first year with Nike.
They give me the confidence needed to maximise power in my swing with reliable control on the ground, especially off the tee.
The LC 4 incorporates Nike innovations from across a wide variety of sporting platforms.
The large Swoosh on the front takes inspiration from the Nike Mercurial football boot.
– The same high-performance Lunarlon outsole and midsole from the Nike Lunar Control 3 offers fantastic traction and cushioning
– An engineered microfibre upper is synthetic, waterproof, easier to clean and ensures a snug fit
– Dynamic flyover cables flex with foot and are asymmetrical to offer support on the instep
– The split tongue wraps around the foot better
– An external heel counter helps lock down the heel.
– A TPU spike plate and carbon fibre footshank offer stability and traction
Available in three colourways – black/white, white/wolf grey, white/bright crimson – the LC4 will be available for european golfers at nike.com from 5pm on November 17, 2015.