fbpx
Video tips: How to play the classic chip and run shot

Video tips: How to play the classic chip and run shot

PGA Master Professional Gary Alliss demonstrates how to play a classic chip and run shot from the edge of the green with a 7-iron
 

Instead of using a typical lofted wedge around the greens, you could use a 7 iron for a chip and run shot.

It’s ideal for when you have little rough to carry but a lot of green.

 

[content_block slug=”chip-and-run-with-a-7-iron”]

 

Get collision ready for great ball strike

The ball will spend around 25% of  in the air and the remaining 75% moving along the green towards the hole.

It is to be treated like a putt in the sense that the ball should be lined up depending on the break of the green.

The importance of a neutral grip

It can take some practise but it is a good alternative to the lofted approach.

James Savage

Former equipment editor of NCG. Inconsistent ball-striker and tea-maker.

Latest Posts

Short game

Master The Lofted Chip Shot

By

Read full article about Master The Lofted Chip Shot
Chip Shot or Pitch Shot? (Made Simple)

Short game

Chip Shot or Pitch Shot? (Made Simple)

By

Read full article about Chip Shot or Pitch Shot? (Made Simple)
5 Stupid Mistakes Golfers Make When Chipping

Short game

5 Stupid Mistakes Golfers Make When Chipping

By

Read full article about 5 Stupid Mistakes Golfers Make When Chipping
How To Get Out of Bunkers Every Time

Short game

How To Get Out of Bunkers Every Time

By

Read full article about How To Get Out of Bunkers Every Time
What Does a Player Do In a Practice Round at The Open Championship?

Course management

What Does a Player Do In a Practice Round at The Open Championship?

By

Read full article about What Does a Player Do In a Practice Round at The Open Championship?
The SECRET To Breaking Par on Par 5s

Course management

The SECRET To Breaking Par on Par 5s

By

Read full article about The SECRET To Breaking Par on Par 5s
Easy Putting Fixes! Drills To Improve Your Putting

Putting

Easy Putting Fixes! Drills To Improve Your Putting

By

Read full article about Easy Putting Fixes! Drills To Improve Your Putting
Marcus Westerberg Chipping Tips: Stop helping the ball in the air

Short game

Marcus Westerberg Chipping Tips: Stop helping the ball in the air

By

Read full article about Marcus Westerberg Chipping Tips: Stop helping the ball in the air
Marcus Westerberg Chipping Tips - Tick Tock Drill

Short game

Marcus Westerberg Chipping Tips – Tick Tock Drill

By

Read full article about Marcus Westerberg Chipping Tips – Tick Tock Drill