The coronavirus pandemic has caused huge disruption in the professional game – and it’s no different on the amateur golf scene, with tournaments cancelled and rearranged.
The game’s governing body, the R&A, have been monitoring their 2020 championship season and – to date – the following international events have been cancelled.
- The St Andrews Trophy (in agreement with the EGA)
- The R&A Boys’ Home Internationals
- The R&A Women’s and Girls’ Home Internationals
- The Junior Vagliano Trophy and The Jacques Leglise Trophy (in agreement with the EGA)
- The R&A Men’s and Women’s Senior Home International
The Curtis Cup has been postponed until next year, but the R&A Junior Open, due to have been played from July 13-15 at Littlestone, has been cancelled.
The R&A has also updated its schedule for its 2020 amateur championships and international matches as follows:
- The R&A Girls’ Amateur Championship will be played from 11-15 August at Southport & Ainsdale as scheduled
- The R&A Boys’ Amateur Championship will be played from 11-16 August at Moortown and Alwoodley as scheduled
- The R&A Women’s Senior Amateur Championship will be played from 19-21 August at Ashridge as scheduled
- The Women’s Amateur Championship has been rescheduled from 23-27 June to 25-29 August at Kilmarnock (Barassie)
- The Amateur Championship has been rescheduled from 15-20 June to 25-30 August at Royal Birkdale and West Lancashire
- The R&A Senior Amateur Championship has been rescheduled from 29-31 July to 23-25 September at Royal Cinque Ports, Deal
An R&A statement said: “These plans are dependent on the situation with the COVID-19 pandemic and we will continue to follow the guidance from the UK Government, health authorities and our own medical consultants.”
Thanks for stopping by.
We wondered if you might like to contribute to supporting our journalism?
As the world enters uncharted waters, we’d like to be able to keep our content open for all to entertain and inform in the months ahead.
We’d like to think we are the voice of the ordinary golfer the world over. Whether your interest is in the game from tour level to grassroots, the latest equipment, or independent course rankings, we’ve got you covered.
If you want to read more about how you can help us and to donate, please CLICK HERE.
[post_list category=39852 title=””]
Could the golf ball be rolled back for everyone?