Bruntsfield Links was founded in 1761, making it the fourth oldest club in the world, and its members now play on a mature parkland with fine views over the Firth of Forth. The origin of the Society dates back to 1761 when the members played over five holes at Bruntsfield Links, where golf had been played since the 15th century. The society then played their golf at Musselburgh but finally settled on a site close to Barnton and the new course was laid out by Willie Park Jnr.
It was then renovated by Alister MacKenzie in 1922, James Braid in 1930 and Fred Hawtree in 1974. Tom Mackenzie of Mackenzie & Ebert then oversaw a comprehensive overhaul that was completed in 2018 and took the course up to 6,500 yards.
In addition to this extra length, its well-positioned bunkers, trees and subtle greens make it a strong test for even fine players. As a result, Bruntsfield has hosted the British Seniors Amateur, Scottish Strokeplay Championship and Regional Qualifying for The Open.