Who doesn't love a good golf quiz? Phones off and let's get underway
This golf quiz was hosted on our Facebook page, but in case you missed it you can either watch it here or scroll past for the questions…
Posted by National Club Golfer on Friday, March 27, 2020
There are five rounds and 45 points in total – five points in the first round and 10 points per round thereafter.
All you need is a pen and paper and the answers are on the next page.
Enjoy! And remember to let us know in the comments how you got on.
Golf quiz round 1: Who am I? (5 points)
1. I was the last player to retain the Claret Jug when I won the Open at Royal Birkdale 12 years ago. Who am I? (1 point)
2. I hold the record for most appearances in a Solheim Cup, with 12, and the most points recorded, with 25. Who am I? (1 point)
3. Though I was born in the English town of Oswestry, I am the only Welsh man or woman to win a major championship. Who am I? (1 point)
4. I led the 2012 Open by four shots with four holes to play but ended up losing by one. Who am I? (1 point)
5. I won 93 times as a professional including 10 major championships yet I am best known for another golfing feat. Who am I? (1 point)
Golf quiz round 2: History (10 points)
1. The first Open Championship was held in 1860. Who won it? (1 point)
2. Five players from the United Kingdom have won a women’s major championship. Laura Davies has four, the rest have one each. Name one of the other four. (1 point)
3. Who is the only player to ever shoot lower than 63 in a men’s major championship, which major was it, which year was it, and where did he do it? (1 point for each correct answer, 4 points available)
4. Who was the first ever World No 1 when the Official World Golf Ranking was introduced in 1986? (1 point)
5. There were six golf medallists at the 2016 Rio Olympics – three men and three women. Name any three of the six. (1 point for each correct answer, 3 points available)
Golf quiz round 3: Numbers (10 points)
1. What do you get if you add the number of majors won by Jack Nicklaus to the number of majors won by Tiger Woods, then minus the number of majors won by Rory McIlroy, and then times by the number of majors won by John Daly. (2 points)
2. Which club has hosted the US Open a record nine times – the first in 1927 and most recently in 2016 – and in which state is it? (1 point for each correct answer, 2 points available)
3. If you add the age of the oldest men’s major champion to the age of the oldest women’s major champion, what number do you get? (3 points for a correct answer, 1 point if you are within 3 either side)
4. Which player, who finished in a tie for 4th at the 1998 Open to win the silver medal for the low amateur, turned pro the following day and subsequently missed the cut in his first 21 events? (1 point)
5. Just 8.87 miles separate the two Open venues on the current rota that are closest together geographically. Name them. (1 point for each correct answer, 2 points available)
Golf quiz round 4: Geography (10 points)
1. Name the northernmost and southernmost Open venues on the current rota. (1 point for each correct answer, 2 points available)
2. Playing in her first ever tournament outside of her native country, Hinako Shibuno won the Women’s British Open in 2019. But where is she from? (1 point)
3. Only two countries outside of the United States, Great Britain, and Ireland have hosted the Ryder Cup. Name them. (1 point for each correct answer, 2 points available)
4. The top 20 players in the women’s world rankings are from 7 different countries. Name four of those countries. (1 point for each correct answer, 4 points available)
5. Who was the last player to win the Open in his home country? (1 point)
Golf quiz round 5: Alphabet (10 points)
1. Five players that have a Z in their surname have won the Masters. Name two of them. (1 point for each correct answer, 2 points available)
2. Name the last three players whose name ends in a Y to win a men’s major championship. (1 point for each correct answer, 3 points available)
3. Name the two players whose surname begins with I to have won a men’s major championship. (1 point for each correct answer, 2 points available)
4. To date, 23 players have reached No 1 in the men’s world rankings, but only two of them have never won a major. Name them. (1 point for each correct answer, 2 points available)
5. Only one player, male or female, with a Q in their name has won a major championship. Name that player. (1 point)
Answers on the next page – but before you do…
We wondered if you might like to contribute to supporting our journalism?
As the world enters uncharted waters, we’d like to be able to keep our content open for all to entertain and inform in the months ahead.
We’d like to think we are the voice of the ordinary golfer the world over. Whether your interest is in the game from tour level to grassroots, the latest equipment, or independent course rankings, we’ve got you covered.
If you want to read more about how you can help us and to donate, please CLICK HERE.