Any course worth its salt is close to a train line, but only Denham Golf Club has a station named after it
Think of any memorable golf course and chances are there’s a railway line within a long drive’s distance.
Prestwick, Royal Troon, Hillside, Panmure, Formby – the list goes on and on. There’s a very simple reason for the combination of fairways and tracks.
As golf exploded in the mid to late 19th century, and new courses sprang up all over the country, many were built around the rail network, or had lines constructed close to their boundaries.
After all, there were no cars then.
But at one Buckinghamshire course, it went a stage further. At Denham, they got their very own named station.
Yes, Denham Golf Club station is the only one in Britain named after a club. You’ll find it on the Chiltern Main Line and it was opened to passengers for the first time on July 22, 1912.
Many golf clubs have railway stations alongside them but Denham is the only golf club named station . It has a lawn laid from Lord’s cricket ground – The Denis Compton lawn ). pic.twitter.com/XoQHcZoNda
— stymied69 (@Stymied69R) August 14, 2019
A Harry Colt designed parkland with a clubhouse constructed from buildings dating back to the 16th century, the club had opened the previous year and asked for the station.
Originally called Denham Golf Club Platform, it was later lengthened and made a halt between the wars.
It still serves the club today and is short journey to Marylebone Station in London. It’s two waiting rooms – original Great Western Railway ‘pagoda’ shelters – are said to be listed buildings.
But that’s not all for which Denham Golf Club is renowned.
As England toil against Australia in the Ashes at the home of cricket, the club can boast a lawn that comes straight from Lord’s.
Denis Compton, the legendary batsman who played 78 Test matches for England and also made 50-odd appearances as a footballer for Arsenal, was a member at the club for 40 years between 1957 and his death.
When the MCC decided to relay the Lord’s outfield in 2002, the strip that lay between the square and pavilion was installed at the club the following year and a plaque honouring Compton marks the area where the historic grass is thriving.