Lights, camera action! Get the perfect smartphone for golf with our pick of the best ones available
Smartphones come in really handy for golf these days with a plethora of handy apps and their tech-capabilities.
If you’re thinking of investing, then for starters you’ll want to make sure it’s got a decent camera. Many phone makers have started equipping their phones with 64 megapixel and even 108mp camera lenses, but don’t go for any less than one with 48mp for clicking crisp, well-detailed photos.
Secondly, screen size is an important factor, yet it is down to personal choice. In fact, it’s now regarded as equally important as price, operating system and brand reputation. Some may prefer larger screens if you have trouble reading words up close, whilst others may take the option of a smaller device so it can fit in your pocket easier.
Battery life is always something to consider too. Are you the type of person who likes to have multiple apps open simultaneously? Or maybe you just forget to put it on charge overnight? Whatever the reason is, brands like to boast about how their device lasts longer on the road than their competitors.
And last but certainly not least: make sure it’s a smartphone. Not one of those old bricks from the 1990s or a Motorola C200. We’re well into the 21st century now, so it should come with a touch screen, the ability to install apps and absolutely no built-in antenna whatsoever.
We’ve rounded up our favourite smartphones for golf and put them into categories to help you choose a new phone that suits your needs. You’ll find a ‘Buy Now’ button below each product, so when we say it’s just a click away, we actually mean it.
If you’re still thirsty for more killer golf equipment deals then check out the rest of our NCG Buyer’s Guides right here, but for now let’s delve into the world of smartphones…
- Related: The best golf GPS devices
- Related: Should you be using a GPS or laser?
- Related: How Mickelson changed his life thanks to coffee
The best smartphones for golf
Best overall smartphone for golfers
Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus
If you’ve got the budget, then you can’t really look past the Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus. This handset was a near-perfect smartphone when it launched, boasting an amazing display and stunning camera. It’s not hard to see why TechRadar have rated it as the best smartphone on the market right now.
It’s a powerhouse that packs the best perks of its siblings, and strikes the perfect balance between them.
- Super fluid 120Hz display
- Superb performance
- Stunning camera
Best iPhone smartphone for golfers
If you won’t settle for anything less than Apple’s best tech, then the iPhone 12 is the go-to option if you’re a golfer.
Instead of going for the pricier yet very similar iPhone 13, then 12 offers more bang for your buck and isn’t worth the difference in price tag when it comes to performance.
The OLED display holds its own against Samsung’s own, and the improved battery life from the previous iPhone 11 is appealing for prolonged use.
- 6.1-inch Super Retina XDR display
- Ceramic Shield, tougher than any smartphone glass
- A14 Bionic chip, the fastest chip ever in a smartphone
- Advanced dual-camera system with 12MP Ultra Wide and Wide cameras
- Industry-leading IP68 water resistance
Best large smartphone for golfers
Samsung Galaxy Note 20
If you prefer bigger smartphones, the Note 20 is the option to go for.
Then S-Pen is easy to fall in love with, and the fun versatility of its triple-camera array makes taking pictures a pleasure wherever you may be – especially with the 50x zoom!
It really is the ultimate option if you find yourself watching golf on Sky Go during the summer months.
- Note20 Ultra 5G Mobile Phone camera
- Note20 Ultra 5G Mobile Phone screen
- Up to 512 GB of Micro SD card on Note20 Ultra 5G, expandable phone memory for photos, music and more
- Note20 Ultra 5G Mobile phone battery
- First mobile phone with Gorilla Glass 7 protection
Moto G8 Power
The modest price of this handset doesn’t justify how good it performs.
Motorola has added more cameras, and refined its look to mimic the flourishes of flagship smartphones, including smaller bezels and a punch-hole in the display for the selfie camera.
The extensive battery life is just one of several standout specs that make the Moto G8 Power a more well-rounded budget phone than prior G-series Power handsets.
- Up to three days of battery life on a single charge thanks to the massive 5000 mAh battery.
- AI-powered quad camera system
- Dual Stereo Speakers tuned by Dolby
- Max Vision display. Bring games and movies to life on a vivid 6.4″ Full HD+ display.
- Blazing-fast performance. Feel your phone respond to every touch, tap, and swipe with an octa-core processor and 4 GB of RAM.
Best camera smartphone for golfers
Oppo Find X2 Pro
When it comes to the quality of its camera, the Oppo Find X2 Pro can match up to the very best smartphones around.
It’s one of the best quality camera phones on the market. Pair that with its 60x zoom and you’ll have your mates frothing at the mouth with those panoramic course photographs for sure.
If you’re not bothered about the camera thought, the display is perhaps the other key selling point of the phone, with a big size, high resolution and fast refresh rate, and a few other pieces of tech that make it one of the best screens you’ll find on a phone right now.
- Display: 6.7 “, 1440 x 3168 pixels
- Processor: Snapdragon 865 2.84GHz
- Camera: Triple, 48MP + 48MP + 13MP
- Battery: 4260 mAh
Best alternative smartphone for golfers
Xiaomi Mi Note 10
Don’t be fooled if you’ve not heard much about Xiaomi before, this phone really does pack a punch.
The Xiaomi Mi Note 10 is a powerhouse in so many ways, from its camera and screen quality to its charging speeds and sleek look.
And that camera is a 108mp behemoth, dwarfing the iPhone 11’s 12MP and even the Huawei P30 Pro’s 40MP snappers.
- All-scenario imaging system
- 6.47″3D curved AMOLED display Corning Gorilla glass front and back
- New responsive in-screen fingerprint senso
- Big battery and fast charging
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 730G