Hamilton Golf Club was founded in 1892 and was first located on a site near the now demolished Hamilton Palace, the former home of the Duke of Hamilton. In 1925 the club moved to its present site and the new course layout was developed by the famous James Braid, who was also responsible for the layout of the King’s Course at Gleneagles among many other famous courses that have stood the test of time. A feature of the original layout and typical of a Braid course is the number of bunkers which were included, all of which still come into play for the average golfer today.
There have been few changes to the original layout but during the 1970s a large tree planting operation was undertaken which has affected the layout significantly. The course is now a tree-lined well bunkered undulating parkland layout.
While the course is situated close to the town of Hamilton, in the heart of an area which was until recently home to heavy industry, it has a country feel to it. There are a number of very attractive holes on the course as well as some panoramic views of both the surrounding countryside and over the Glasgow area to Ben Lomond and beyond (on a clear day).