Duddingston, in Edinburgh, is the home club of the great amateur Ronnie Shade, and his father John had a hand in updating its course. Shade Snr was the pro here for many years and helped reshape the original layout by Willie Park in the 1960s. It’s a good old–fashioned course; not overly long but you’ve got to drive it well, with the Braid Burn meandering into several holes.
It sits on gently undulating parkland – in Gaelic Duddingston means ‘sunny side of the hill – and is very close to the centre of town and has super views of Holyrood Park and extinct volcano Arthur’s Seat. Duddingston was established in 1895 when the financial community set up the Insurance & Banking Golf Club at the Duddingston estate.
The land, part of a former deer estate, was the scene in 1745, prior to the Battle of Prestonpans, of the encampment of the cavalry of Charles Edward Stuart, Bonnie Prince Charlie, in an area adjoining the course and known today as Cavalry Park. The course was extended by Shade and Bill Biggar and, with the addition of the new tee at the 12th hole, now measures over 6,500 yards.