Balbirnie Park Golf Club

Fife

  • Par 71
  • 6325 Yds

Balbirnie Park has a long and interesting history which complements its enjoyable variety of parkland holes. 



The nine-hole Markinch Golf Club was formed in 1905 to the North East of the town, with its captain Edward Balfour of Balbirnie.

The course, like many others across the UK, was occupied by searchlights and ack-ack batteries during World War Two and as a result, was badly damaged.

The club had insufficient funds available to repair this damage and consequently, folded in 1947. 



The trophies were placed in the vaults of the local bank and remained there until 1976 when a public meeting was called, and the club resuscitated.

The trophies were placed in the vaults of the local bank and remained there until 1976 when a public meeting was called, and the club resuscitated.



The reformed club’s outings took place three or four times a year to various courses throughout Fife, until Glenrothes Development Corporation bought Balbirnie Estate and started the construction of an 18-hole course.



The first nine holes were opened for play in April 1983 and the back nine the following year, with the club officially re-named Balbirnie Park Golf Club.

In 1995, the clubhouse was extended to include a superb new dining lounge, men’s changing and shower facilities and men’s and ladies’ lockers.

Since the turn of the century, the course has hosted many tournaments, including the Scottish PGA Assistants Championship, World One Armed Championship and the British Blind Championships.



On the course there is also plenty to keep you interested; the 6,313-yard par-71 layout has hills, tight fairways and hazards at every turn. 

There are some superb par 3s but the undoubted highlight is the par-5 18th, which is one of the best in all of Fife.

The delightful closing hole is 493-yards played downhill. The green is framed by the beautiful clubhouse, but don’t get distracted, as you must first navigate the burn dissecting the fairway and the green. 



Set in a peaceful location not far from St Andrews, Balbirnie Park is a championship-standard parkland a nice alternative to the links in the Kingdom.

Address

Markinch
Glenrothes
Fife
KY7 6NR

Telephone

01592 752 006
Top