Trump reveals details of Ailsa’s Open refurbishmentMarch, 2015 News & Tour
Donald Trump has given details of refurbishment to Trump Turnberry resort and Ailsa course, which will remain closed until June 1 2016.
Donald Trump has revealed details behind the multi-million pound plans to renovate Trump Turnberry for the first time, with the project aiming to substantially upgrade the world’s “first-ever” golf resort.
The renovation project will require a partial closure which will commence on 27th September 2015, and is expected to last until mid to late May 2016 while improvements are made to the hotel and Ailsa course.
Trump said: “In close consultation, we will be refining the great Ailsa Championship course including lengthening, re-grassing and making certain changes, many of which have been sought by the R&A for over 25 years.
“This work will be carefully and studiously crafted and when completed, will bring this already amazing masterpiece to a level that even it has never attained.”
The extensive 18-month refurbishment programme has already begun, with the resort aiming to relaunch on June 1 2016, when the redesigned Open Championship golf course, The Ailsa, will be available for play for the first time.
When completed, Trump Turnberry will be the finest resort of its kind anywhere in the world. In May, the Trump Turnberry hotel will re-open its doors following an extensive upgrade.
During the partial closure the new clubhouse, The Villas and golf academy will be open for business with tee times available to members and guests on the Kintyre, which hosted the qualifying rounds of the Troon Open Championship in 2004.
Trump added: “At the conclusion of our hotel rebuilding, we will have exquisite new suites, magnificent ballrooms, restaurants and meeting facilities plus a sprawling and luxurious spa.
“When completed, Trump Turnberry will be the finest resort of its kind anywhere in the world.”
Included in the reveal of these plans are the following improvements:
- The upgrading of conference and banqueting facilities with the creation of The Caledonia Ballroom, The Old Tom Morris Suite and The Ailsa Craig Suite, as well as three new meeting rooms and a luxurious business centre. (March 2015)
- The creation of a new world class 18 hole pitch and putt in front of the hotel designed by the internationally renowned golf architect Martin Ebert.
- The creation of a new Lobby bar featuring over 250 whiskies within the Grand Tea Lounge.
- The launch of the refurbished clubhouse, proshop with largely extended retail facility, The Duel in the Sun restaurant and a purpose built east facing viewing balcony in April 2015.
- The creation of a luxurious two bedroomed suite and the Halfway House for the Ailsa course will be located within the iconic Turnberry Lighthouse.
- The repositioning of 1906 restaurant to its original location from when the hotel opened.
- The creation of a new Crystal Ballroom named in recognition of the six original crystal chandeliers which are a historic feature of the room.
- Development of the new destination spa, The Trump Spa by Ivanka Trump.
- The creation of a masterpiece, The Donald J Trump Ballroom, situated at the north elevation of the hotel facilitating 500 guests with panoramic sea views.
- Extensive renovation of the self-catering Villas at Trump Turnberry and the creation of a new family centre will take place with work commencing in the winter of 2016 completing spring 2017.
Meanwhile, works to complete the £5m refurbishment of the clubhouse continue as a priority in preparation for hosting the RICOH Women’s British Open which takes place at Trump Turnberry 30 July – 2 August 2015. The new clubhouse will open its doors in late April 2015, also in time for the summer golf season.
For more golf news, discussion and videos follow @NCGmagazine on Twitter, like us on Facebook, subscribe to our YouTube video channel, and sign up to our newsletter.